The Master Gardener Foundation of Whatcom County (WMGF)
We are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that supports and promotes the Washington State University (WSU) Extension Master Gardener Program of Whatcom County.
Our mission is to support the WSU Whatcom Extension Master Gardener Program through financial support, communication, education and advocacy.
How does the Master Gardener Program work?
The Master Gardener Program is sponsored by WSU Extension. Master Gardeners undergo an extensive training program and internship supervised by WSU. Once certified, Master Gardeners provide education and mentoring to home gardeners about sound and sustainable gardening practices.
How does the Foundation support the Master Gardener Program?
We partner with the WSU Whatcom Master Gardener Program to serve the public in many ways including:
- Raising funds to provide essential support for the Master Gardener Program;
- Providing Master Gardener education and outreach at sites around the county including farmers markets, libraries, the Northwest Washington Fair and other community events;
- Funding and operating the public demonstration gardens at Hovander Homestead Park and the Roeder Home;
- Hosting free gardening lectures and workshops on a wide range of topics.
- Providing financial support to the Diagnostic Plant Clinic to help gardeners resolve problems in their gardens;
- Funding scholarships for Master Gardener trainees;
- Raising and donating more than a ton of food to the Ferndale Food Bank every year.
The WMGF was incorporated in 1997 as a Washington non-profit corporation. Through two formal agreements, the Foundation:
- Partners with the WSU Whatcom Extension in the delivery of research-based horticultural information to Whatcom County citizens, and
- Plans, plants and maintains public demonstration gardens at Hovander Homestead Park and the Roeder Home in partnership with Whatcom County Parks and Recreation.
The Foundation is governed by a Board of Directors made up of Master Gardeners, in accordance with our Bylaws. Whatcom Master Gardeners are not required to join the Whatcom Master Gardener Foundation, but only Foundation members may serve on the board, vote on board members, and vote on any matters that might be presented to the foundation membership.
Master Gardeners Foundation Board
President: Vic Knox
Vice President: Marilyn Glenn
2nd Vice President: Karen Henriksen
Treasurer: Marla Rodgers
Secretary: Marcia Repaci
Members at Large: Linda Burns, Chrissy DeVries, Deva Katir, Barbara Mattson, Patti Paul, Nancy Sonnenfeld